This project is new high quality student accommodation development by McLaren Property Ltd constructed immediately adjacent to the River Avon. The scheme provides 330 bedrooms of accommodation in varying formats in three accommodation blocks and a row of townhouses. A mixture of formats is provided including cluster flats, studio flats and townhouses.
This environmentally sensitive site has been in an industrial use since the early 1800’s containing a gas works, a water driven mill and, more recently offices and a vehicle workshop and petrol filling station. Located over a drinking water aquifer immediately adjacent to the River Avon this proved quite a challenge.
In partnership with our supply chain HWA provided a robust ground investigation and report and a remediation strategy for the site. This involved the removal of tar pits, slurry filled gasholder bases and fuel tanks and ongoing monitoring groundwater monitoring to prove the natural attenuation of the residual impacted soil.
In order to remove constraints from the site a Combined Sewer Overflow which was originally flowing through the centre of the site was diverted to the perimeter of the site. HWA were key to the negotiation of this with Wessex Water and the Environment Agency.
The project buildings were constructed from a cold rolled metal framed building solution and clad in a mixture of materials to suit the sites status within a World Heritage Site. This included White Lias stone, brickwork and standing seam cladding.
HWA were employed by Midas to undertake the post contract construction design of the structures, substructures, site drainage and external works on this project with Stride Treglowan Architects which is set for completion in August 2015.